Task 1 / mkt62404 / brand cooperate identity
-
Low Xin Er / 0374596 / Bachelor of Design in Creative Media
Brand Corporate Identity / Task 1: Logo Design Development
MODULE INFORMATION
OVERVIEW
This blog documents my entire design process for the BCI (Brand Concept & Identity) assignment, spanning from initial market research to the final brand proposal presentation.
The core objective of this project was to construct a complete, strategically sound brand strategy from scratch. I created Cosette, a premium daily wellness supplement brand tailored for exhausted urban professionals. Over the course of 8 weeks, I navigated through competitor analysis, target audience profiling, wordmark and logomark ideation, typographic hierarchy, and visual identity standardization. The final submission achieved a score of 58/60, receiving positive feedback for its clear strategic foundation, memorable logo system, and thoughtful design direction.
PROGRESS
Week 1 (April 24, 2026)
The professor clearly provided and explained the assignment objectives and requirements for this subject; all the materials were in the teams' folder.
This assignment ultimately requires designing a complete brand strategy, and I already had a goal in mind. I chose the food and beverage sector, and the five brands I needed to study were:
5 brands
1. Pop Meals
2. Kagome
3. Marigold
4. Pokka
5. Oat Milk
Furthermore, Task 1 also included logo design, so the professor suggested starting logo brainstorming and drafting from Week 2 onwards. This would require 30 designs, including explanations of the design principles.
Week 1 (April 25, 2026)
Based on the textbook's explanations, I researched what specific questions a brand needs to answer and from what direction to begin my research. The goal of this assignment was to clearly explain what a Brand, Branding, and Brand Identity are.
A brand case study should explain:
- What kind of brand it is;
- What industry/category it belongs to;
- Who its target audience is;
- What type of logo/brandmark it uses;
- What visual elements make the brand recognizable;
- What values or personality the brand communicates;
- What brand ideals can be observed through its identity.
It should not only describe what is visually appealing, but also explain why the design works and how it contributes to the brand's identity and values.
I first recorded the information in document format, then categorized and simplified it, and finally designed it into slides while considering readability.
Week 2 (May 2, 2026)
I supplemented my research on the five brands, especially their differences and characteristics, such as visual design and market entry points. After analyzing the five brands, I began to consider what kind of logo would suit this brand. I ultimately concluded that a wordmark best captured a sophisticated and comforting style, emphasizing the meaning of the brand name "Cosette," which in French means "little things."
Week 3 (May 9, 2026)
I concisely explained the characteristics of the five brands I researched to the professor, summarizing the features I could learn from and the shortcomings I needed to avoid. I determined that this brand's approach was better suited to a wordmark and not to any character design to represent the brand, so I would develop in that direction. I began exploring different logo design styles, including those that needed to convey a sophisticated and comforting feel.
Week 4 (May 16, 2026)
The professor explained how to standardize logo design using Adobe Illustrator, making it easier to apply the logo design to various format requirements in the future. After presenting my logo draft, the professor felt that a logo with a smiley face and sun elements was most suitable and suggested I develop the design in these two directions.
Week 5 (May 22, 2026)
I showed the professor the optimized versions of the two logo designs from last time. The professor immediately liked the second design, which connected well with my brand concept and had a natural feel.

The only area that still needs improvement is the two "t" parts in the second logo. The top of the "t" is a bit stiff and sharp, which doesn't quite match the other letters. You can change the concave design at the top of the "t" to a rounded design when using Adobe Illustrator later.

The logomark successfully blended multiple metaphors—fruit slices, seeds, water droplets, and morning sun rays—giving the letter "C" a distinctive memory point.
Week 6 (May 29, 2026)
While compiling the brand proposal presentation, I initially relied on Canva for standard layouts. However, to maintain exact typographic control over custom font files—specifically Recoleta for serif warmth/elegance and Lato for clean body text readability—I made the decision to pivot entirely to Adobe Illustrator for the final deck presentation. This allowed me to build custom slide templates, manage color palettes (Cream, Warm Coral, Terracotta, Sage, Mocha) with precision, and construct vector grids for the mark.

Week 7 (June 5, 2026)
During the final stretch before submission, I focused on standardizing the full identity system. I finalized the logo construction grid, clear space boundaries, minimum sizing, favicons, and monochrome applications. I also integrated initial product packaging references (such as daily sachet formats) to demonstrate real-world usage.
Week 8 (June 18-19, 2026)
Final Submission & Presentation, the final submission received an exceptional score of 58/60.
Key Praise & Instructor Feedback:
Strategic Foundation: Strong market analysis identifying the sweet spot between clinical pharmacy products and lifestyle wellness brands.
Visual Identity: The logo equation ("C" with fruit/dew drops) was praised for being memorable, elegant, and versatile. The choice of Recoleta and the earthy color palette perfectly evoked a calm, soft-premium feel.
Areas for Future Iteration: Shift tone of voice descriptor from "Quiet" to "Soft" for better emotional resonance, add more direct product visuals (powder texture, water mixing, daily routine icons), and eliminate minor slide typo details.
REFLECTION
Looking back on this 8-week journey, turning an abstract branding idea into a polished identity system was both challenging and incredibly rewarding. Mid-project, I hit a major bottleneck when Canva restricted my typography control, forcing me to rebuild the entire slide deck from scratch in Adobe Illustrator to achieve absolute precision over custom fonts like Recoleta and strict layout grids. On the design side, distilling over 30 initial sketches into a single, cohesive "Logo Equation" taught me how to balance clean minimalism with rich visual storytelling. Scoring 58/60 was a huge confidence boost, and the professor's feedback gave me clear direction for future iterations—specifically to incorporate more direct product usage visuals and adjust our brand tone from "Quiet" to "Soft" for deeper emotional connection. Ultimately, this project reinforced that impactful design isn't just about making things visually appealing, but about solving friction, standing for a clear brand purpose, and perfecting every small typographic detail.
Comments
Post a Comment